From job interviews to first dates, our face plays an important role in how others perceive us, and you want to make sure you’re always putting your best face forward. But over time, the delicate skin on the face undergoes changes due to sun exposure, aging, genetics, gravity, stress, and the environment. All of these factors take a toll on the skin and may cause you to look older and tired, even if you enjoy a healthy lifestyle.
Facelift surgery, medically called a “rhytidectomy,” is a cosmetic procedure designed to provide a more youthful, refreshed facial appearance. Having a facelift can improve the signs of aging in the face and neck, including fine lines, wrinkles, sagging skin, jowls, marionette lines, nasolabial folds, and hollows beneath the eyes.
Dr. David Gilpin is a board-certified plastic surgeon in Nashville who specializes specifically in facial plastic surgery, giving him the experience and dedication to achieve exquisite results that will let your natural beauty shine. Discover how Dr. Gilpin can beautifully restore what age, stress, and time have claimed with this transformative procedure.
Ready to explore the benefits of a facelift? Contact plastic surgeon Dr. David Gilpin today at (615) 942-7301 to schedule a facelift consultation at his Nashville office.
Your Personal Facelift Expert
Nashville-based facial plastic surgeon Dr. Gilpin approaches each facelift procedure with the intent of producing long-lasting, natural-looking results that complement each patient’s unique anatomy. While prior facelift techniques only worked to tighten the skin, which resulted in a pulled or “wind-swept” look, Dr. Gilpin uses the most advanced and reliable surgical techniques available.
Through his extensive facial plastic surgery work in Nashville, Dr. Gilpin has mastered the art of the facelift, allowing him to create natural-looking rejuvenation that stands the test of time.
Benefits of Dr. Gilpin’s facelift approach include:
- Natural-Looking Results: Patients who choose Dr. Gilpin to perform their facelift in Nashville, TN can be assured that their care is in the hands of an expert. By specializing in only facial plastic surgery, Dr. Gilpin has honed his craft to deliver results that restore a patient’s natural beauty with precision.
- Restored Confidence and Refreshed Feeling: A facelift allows patients to not only feel more comfortable about their appearance, but it can also boost their confidence and self-esteem. Dr. Gilpin’s results will have you feeling as good as you look.
- Fully Customized Surgical Plan: Whether you desire modest wrinkle correction or complete facial rejuvenation, there are various facelift options to perfectly match your aesthetic needs and preferences. For optimal rejuvenation, Dr. Gilpin can also perform additional facial rejuvenation procedures that complement the effects of a facelift, including fat grafting, brow lift surgery, or eyelid surgery, if needed.
- Patient Satisfaction: Dr. Gilpin has assembled a team at his Nashville practice who share his commitment to patient satisfaction. From the moment you first meet with the patient care concierge to your post-op appointments, Dr. Gilpin and his Nashville team consider your comfort, privacy, and satisfaction to be absolute priorities.
Before and after
Your Nashville Facelift Consultation with Dr. Gilpin
Your journey toward considering a facelift in Nashville begins with a friendly, informative consultation with Dr. Gilpin. Dr. Gilpin truly enjoys getting to know new people, and he finds tremendous satisfaction in building relationships.
During your consultation, you will discuss your reasons for considering a facelift and voice any questions or concerns you may have regarding the procedure. Dr. Gilpin will take a few photos of you, and using special software, he can morph your photos to show you what kind of results you can expect.
Dr. Gilpin understands the importance of being trusted with the most personal aspect of your appearance, and his goal is to provide you with honest, informative advice so you can make the decision that’s right for you.
How Do I Know When I’m Ready for a Facelift?
Undergoing a facelift is a personal decision that should be carefully considered. There are many different factors that determine how people age, so the truth is, there is no ideal age for a facelift. Once you feel uncomfortable with the changes that aging or other factors have caused, then you may want to consider a facelift.
Ideal candidates for a facelift are men and women who are in good health, do not smoke cigarettes, and experience any of the following:
- You have sagging areas and loose skin on your face or neck
- You always appear tired, sad, or angry because of deep-set wrinkles on your face
- You appear older than you feel or older than your actual age
- You have fine lines and wrinkles on your face or neck
To see what kind of results you can expect from a facelift, browse our before-and-after photo gallery of prior Nashville patients.
Understanding Your Facelift in Nashville, TN
Facelifts are highly customizable procedures, and there are various techniques that Dr. Gilpin uses. All of these techniques can deliver exceptional results, but there are some slight variations that will benefit some individuals more than others. Facelifts are an outpatient procedure that requires a varying amount of downtime depending on the type and extent of surgery.
DEEP PLANE FACELIFT (SMAS)
A deep plane facelift addresses wrinkles and sagging skin in the lower face, jowls, and neck. This procedure is different from older full facelift techniques, in that the deeper muscle tissues (called the SMAS) beneath the skin are tightened with sutures. SMAS stands for Superficial Musculo Aponeurotic System, which is a layer of tissues and muscles that begin around the ear and extend down to the neck.
As Dr. Gilpin lifts the underlying muscles, this will lift and reduce tension on the overlying skin, effectively smoothing out wrinkles and jowls. This technique gives a long-lasting result, as the deeper SMAS layer is secured. Along with the deep plane facelift, Dr. Gilpin will remove the loose “banding” in the midline of the neck, and if needed, he will remove fat from the neck with liposuction.
See deep plane facelift before and after photos in our gallery of real patients.
A deep plane facelift provides the following benefits:
- Achieves significant aesthetic improvements and makes you feel younger
- Eliminates signs of facial aging in areas of the lower face, neck, and jawline
- Produces a very natural, youthful appearance
- Deep plane facelift scars are no more visible than traditional facelift scars
LIMITED INCISION (MINI) FACELIFT
A limited incision facelift is a less invasive procedure and differs from the traditional facelift. Also known as a “mini facelift,” it is an ideal procedure for men and women who are looking to achieve subtle improvement to the lower face. Check out Dr. Gilpin’s mini facelift before and after photos of real patients in our facelift gallery.
A mini facelift Nashville, TN provides the following benefits:
- Uses fewer and shorter incisions than a traditional facelift
- Improves fine lines and wrinkles in the lower portion of the face
- Requires shorter recovery time than a traditional facelift
A neck lift is an ideal treatment for patients who want to focus on sagging and excess skin in the neck, or for those who feel that they have a “double chin.” It is often performed in conjunction with a facelift, but it can also be performed as a standalone procedure.
During a neck lift, Dr. Gilpin tightens the neck muscles and removes sagging skin in order to produce smoother and more refreshed-looking neck contours. Dr. Gilpin will also remove any fat deposits in the neck and correct “banding” in the midline, in order to give you a more naturally toned facial appearance.
A neck lift provides the following benefits:
- Eliminates wrinkles, loose skin, “neck bands,” and any excess skin in the neck area
- Improves the appearance of a double chin, or a chin that appears to “hang”
- Gives you a more youthful-looking neck and overall rejuvenated appearance
Ready to explore the benefits of a facelift? Contact plastic surgeon Dr. David Gilpin today at (615) 551-9505 to schedule a facelift consultation at his Nashville office.
FACELIFT WITH LASER RESURFACING
To help patients achieve comprehensive rejuvenation, Dr. Gilpin combines laser resurfacing with a facelift. Patients who complement their facelift with laser skin resurfacing will be able to address finer signs of aging like lines and wrinkles around the mouth and eyes, sun spots, and areas of redness.
Before and after
Before and after
Have Additional Questions About Facelift Surgery?
Will a Facelift Leave Noticeable Scars?
Dr. Gilpin meticulously hides facelift incisions within the hairline and in the natural contours of the face. When performing a deep plane facelift, the incision typically begins at the hairline of the temples, continues around the ear, and ends in the lower scalp area. Neck lift incisions often wrap behind each of the earlobes and then end in the lower scalp. There is also a small incision under the chin, which is hidden in a natural crease. Dr. Gilpin’s goal is for you to look naturally refreshed, without any evidence that you have undergone a procedure.
What Is Recovery Like After a Facelift?
Dr. Gilpin is highly involved with his patients’ aftercare, and you can expect a personal visit from him at your home or hotel room after your procedure. He will also call you or your caregiver personally the night after your surgery to make sure your recovery is proceeding optimally. It’s recommended that you have a responsible friend or family member stay with you for the first night and drive you home after surgery. During surgery, Dr. Gilpin aims to be as gentle as possible, which usually results in less bruising and swelling, and most of his patients report minimal discomfort after a facelift. Vertical facelift patients may experience a feeling of “tightness”, especially under the chin and neck, which fades as time progresses. Dr. Gilpin will see you on your first post-operative day to remove bandages and check your healing. Swelling and bruising will last from a few days up to two weeks, and you can typically resume social functions within seven to 10 days after surgery. Most patients can return to work within one to two weeks.
What Are the Risks Associated with a Facelift?
When performed by a board-certified surgeon on carefully selected candidates, complications from a facelift are rare. In the rare event complications do occur, they are usually related to adverse reactions to anesthesia, poor healing, or poor scarring.
What Kind of Anesthesia Will Be Used During a Facelift?
For optimal safety and comfort, Dr. Gilpin typically performs facelift procedures under general anesthesia.
Will the Results of My Facelift Be Permanent?
When approaching each procedure, Dr. Gilpin is committed to performing surgery that will last as long as possible, without patients looking over-corrected or altered. Although you can’t permanently stop the aging process, you can expect the results of your facelift to be long-lasting, especially when paired with a healthy lifestyle. In general, your facelift will make you look about 10 years younger, and while aging will continue, the procedure will essentially “turn back the clock” and allow you to age gracefully over time. Many Nashville patients also opt to maintain their rejuvenated appearance with non-invasive treatments, like Botox injections and dermal fillers.
When Will I See the Final Results of My Facelift?
Most patients see significant results from their facelift within the first one to two months after the procedure. Subtle changes may continue to occur for up to a year after the procedure as well.
Where Will My Facelift Be Performed in Nashville?
Dr. Gilpin’s procedures are typically performed at the Cool Springs Surgery Center, which is a fully accredited, state-of-the-art surgical center conveniently located in Nashville.
How painful is a facelift?
During your facelift surgery, you’ll be put under light general anesthesia so that you don’t feel any pain. Although many patients experience discomfort during the recovery period, Dr. Gilpin will prescribe medications to manage pain and swelling.
Can I combine a facelift with other procedures?
The facelift can easily be combined with other facial procedures like eyelid surgery, neck lift, brow lift, and rhinoplasty. Dr. Gilpin can make a professional recommendation based on your goals and concerns during your consultation.
How should I prepare for my facelift?
When preparing for your surgery, it’s important to follow Dr. Gilpin’s instructions to ensure a safe and effective procedure. This includes avoiding over-the-counter medications like aspirin or anti-inflammatory drugs. Certain herbal supplements can also increase bleeding, so make sure to discuss these during your consultation. You should also discuss any facial products you regularly use, since some ingredients can compromise your results and skin quality. Most importantly, you should stop smoking at least four weeks prior to your surgery date.
What is the average cost for a facelift?
The cost of your facelift can vary widely based on factors like your area, your plastic surgeon, and your specific surgery. Our facelift range begins at $12,000-$14,000 and can increase depending on the procedures that will meet your goals. During your consultation with Dr. Gilpin, you’ll receive a full estimate of your facelift cost in Nashville.
- 1 Your Personal Facelift Expert
- 2 Your Nashville Facelift Consultation with Dr. Gilpin
- 3 How Do I Know When I’m Ready for a Facelift?
- 4 Understanding Your Facelift in Nashville, TN
- 5 FACELIFT WITH LASER RESURFACING
- 6 Have Additional Questions About Facelift Surgery?
- 7 Facelift FAQs
- 7.1 Will a Facelift Leave Noticeable Scars?
- 7.2 What Is Recovery Like After a Facelift?
- 7.3 What Are the Risks Associated with a Facelift?
- 7.4 What Kind of Anesthesia Will Be Used During a Facelift?
- 7.5 Will the Results of My Facelift Be Permanent?
- 7.6 When Will I See the Final Results of My Facelift?
- 7.7 Where Will My Facelift Be Performed in Nashville?
- 7.8 How painful is a facelift?
- 7.9 Can I combine a facelift with other procedures?
- 7.10 How should I prepare for my facelift?
- 7.11 What is the average cost for a facelift?