The eyes are one of the most expressive parts of the face; over time, the delicate skin surrounding the eyes undergoes various changes. Due to factors like sun exposure, age, and genetics, the upper and lower eyelids may begin to droop, become wrinkled, or take on an overall aged appearance. In extreme cases, drooping eyelids can even affect vision.
Blepharoplasty, or eyelid surgery, is a procedure that lifts the skin of the upper and lower eyelids. Loose skin that causes fine lines, wrinkles, and sagging is removed from the eyelids, and fat deposits are removed or repositioned to lessen puffiness around the eyes. As the muscles and other tissues are lifted, eyes look refreshed and youthful.
Discover how Dr. David Gilpin can restore a rejuvenated appearance to your eyes with blepharoplasty.
Dr. Gilpin’s Approach to Eyelid Rejuvenation
Dr. Gilpin focuses solely on plastic surgery of the face, allowing him to refine the most effective techniques available. Through his extensive practice of aesthetic facial surgery in Nashville, he has mastered the art of blepharoplasty; patients can expect natural-looking results with minimal downtime. His goal as your plastic surgeon is to produce a naturally refreshed appearance, without an overcorrected or altered look.
At Gilpin Facial Plastics in Nashville, you can achieve the following with eyelid surgery:
- Look More Youthful: Signs of aging can develop around the eyes over time, including fine lines, wrinkles, and droopy skin. Blepharoplasty removes saggy skin and tightens loose tissues to produce smooth and well-defined eyelid contours.
- Brighten Tired Eyes: Loose skin and fat deposits create a tired, bulky look – even when someone is well rested or is otherwise youthful in appearance. Excess fatty deposits can also create bags and puffiness that contribute to an aged look. With upper and lower eyelid surgery, patients can look as refreshed as they feel.
- Restore Impaired Vision: Some patients choose to undergo blepharoplasty for practical concerns rather than cosmetic issues. Fatty deposits, sagging skin, and wrinkles on the upper eyelids can hang down and cause vision impairment in some instances. Upper eyelid surgery removes excess skin and fatty deposits, so patients can see more clearly.
- Correct Prior Blepharoplasty: If you’re unhappy with the results of prior eyelid surgery, a revision blepharoplasty is recommended. This procedure can correct cosmetic irregularities from previous methods, allowing patients to achieve the results they desire.
Before and after
Who Is an Ideal Candidate for Blepharoplasty?
Ideal candidates for blepharoplasty in Nashville include men and women who are in good health, who don’t smoke, and who are looking for improvement in the appearance of their upper or lower eyelids. There isn’t an ideal age for this procedure, as everyone ages at a different rate. But if you’re uncomfortable with cosmetic changes on your eyelids due to age, environmental factors, sun exposure, or other reasons, then it may be the right time to seek surgical treatment.
Patients considering this procedure usually exhibit the following:
- Excess fatty deposits around the eyes (“eyebags”)
- Loose or drooping eyelid skin
- Surplus lines and wrinkles surrounding the eyes
At your consultation with Dr. Gilpin, he can better explain any limitations of the surgery and what you can expect from your outcome. To see results from prior patients, feel free to browse our before-and-after photo gallery.
Dr. Gilpin will also guide you through additional procedures that may complement the effects of eyelid surgery, like a brow lift, which smooths out lines and wrinkles on the forehead. For patients who’d prefer a non-surgical alternative, injectables and laser resurfacing are also popular options.
It’s been a pleasure working with Dr. Gilpin and his staff. Not only he’s a great facial surgeon, but also a phenomenal communicator.
Understanding Your Procedure
Upper Blepharoplasty vs. Lower Blepharoplasty
Patients have the option of choosing an upper blepharoplasty, lower blepharoplasty, or both. The right decision for you will depend on your unique cosmetic goals and the extent of sagging skin and fatty deposits surrounding your eyes.
How Your Eyelid Surgery Will Be Performed
To begin your eyelid surgery, Dr. Gilpin places a small incision within the natural crease of the upper lid. This ensures that your scars will be virtually undetectable after your procedure. The lower eyelid surgery incision is likewise hidden within the inside of the lower eyelid.
Through these incisions, Dr. Gilpin removes or reposition fat deposits as needed, and tightens the underlying muscles and removes excess skin. An incision may also be placed on the outside of the eyelid near the lashes to remove excess lower lid skin. Once the surgery is complete, the incisions will be closed with fine sutures.
Eyelid Surgery FAQs
Where Will My Procedure Be Performed?
Will I Be Able to Go Home After My Blepharoplasty Is Complete?
Does This Procedure Leave Noticeable Scars?
What is Recovery Like for Blepharoplasty?
When Will the Final Results be Visible?
How Long Will the Results Last?
Contact plastic surgeon Dr. David Gilpin today at (615) 942-7301 to schedule an eyelid surgery consultation in Nashville, TN.
- 1 Dr. Gilpin’s Approach to Eyelid Rejuvenation
- 2 Who Is an Ideal Candidate for Blepharoplasty?
- 3 Understanding Your Procedure
- 4 Eyelid Surgery FAQs